Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Not My Granny's German Chocolate Cake

Last night Bryan had class from 3:00 - 6:30. He usually gets home around 6:45 so I had some time to really get some things done. I will be going out of town on Thursday so I wanted to be sure to cook for Bryan when I could and I wanted to bake him a cake to eat on while I was gone. My Granny makes a German chocolate cake that is to die for. She makes her icing from scratch and it always looked complicated to me so I've never tried it. My boss made a German Chocolate cake recently, brought it to the office, and shared her secret. It worked for me so I'll pass it on. Her cake tasted very close to granny's and I never would have known it was store bought icing.






One of the things I have loved about blogging are the new recipes that are sent to me or that I read about. I've told several of my friends it is worth blogging just for the recipes!! I tried Candy's Doritoe Casserole (visit her blog for the recipe because I do not want to take credit)recipe last night. Mmmm Mmmmm good. I served Spanish rice with it. We loved it. Candy is a great cook. I have 2 more of her recipes to try and I have 2 of Kelly's chicken recipes I need to make. Maybe it is just that I don't have that exciting of a life but it is neat to sit down to dinner and tell Bryan "Oh, this is a recipe I got from ______ on her blog." We are finding it really neat.


I think the Spanish rice looks a little scary in this picture. Ha! Ha! I didn't get a good picture of it. But it sure tasted good. I also made some guacomole. Since I had some left over, I ate a serving with some chips for my breakfast this morning!!





5 comments:

Angela said...

I'm with you Julie, I love getting the recipes. The cake looks great and I'm sure Bryan will enjoy it!

Caroline said...

I totally tagged you and I put your link with your name and it did not turn out that way!!!! i am terrible with technology...oh well. YES YES YES....give us 7 random facts about you. I can't wait to read them!!!!

Your cake looks wonderful.

Candy said...

The cake looks wonderful! YUM! I am glad you liked the casserole! Thanks for the compliment, but I am not a good cook. I have to have a VERY simple recipe to follow. :) I LOVE recipes too. Have a great day!

destiny said...

That looks delicious! My daughter (who loves chocolate as much as me) said can you make that!?!?
Thanks for the new recipes!

Kelly said...

I love recipes too! I can read cooking books for hours! You'll have to let me know how you like the chicken recipes!